Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Labor day

Mack’s birth was a hell of a lot easier than Nate’s. Basically I woke up early on the morning of Feb 7 and knew something was weird. I went to the bathroom saw some blood and then came back to bed. All of a sudden I felt a pop and a rush of liquid. Michael?
Huh?
My water just broke.
We still weren’t sure exactly what to do because we are so dumb with this stuff so I called the doctor on call who failed to call me back. I sat on the toilet for awhile because the amniotic fluid was mixed with meconium (aka poop) and it was sort of gross. Finally Dr.  Maldonado called me back apologizing for not getting back sooner and I was like : I am in Full On Labor!
We had already called my parents who were on call to come and take care of Nate and they rushed over from their rental on the upper east side. I rushed out with my towel as soon as I saw my dad and into a black car where the contractions started to be intense.
At the hospital I didn’t even go into triage because I was so close. They just put me in a room where I demanded an epidural. With a little relief, I then explained to the nurses how I pushed for 3 hours with Nate. They were impressed. Then they told me a story: the woman who had recently vacated that room had pushed for 12 minutes.
With that story in mind, the labor started. 11 minutes later with some pain but nothing like before, little Mack came out. He was perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment