Sunday, December 19, 2010

Protest















On this Sunday prior to the holidays, my Mom and Dad planned to drive into Manhattan and join the protest against the censorship of David Wojnarowicz's video at the Smithsonian Museum. Folks were upset that the head the Smithsonian ordered the National Portrait Gallery to remove Wojnarowicz's 4 minute video, bowing to pressure from right wing, anti-gay and religious nuts. This was Obama time, WTF! So Nate and I -- inspired -- planned to meet my parents on the UES for some serious marching, fist-raising and possibly even violence and/or looting.
But Nate first had to nap so that he was in a good state of mind. And then he was hungry so he had to eat his yogurt and pieces of omelet. And then it took time to dress him since it was chilly outside and of course there was some traffic.

So we were late and missed the protest. But while my Dad and Emma listened to the Giant/Eagles game in the car, my Mom, Nate and I found a diner in which to warm, grab a bite and hang for a bit.
There aren't many kid-friendly joints for 1-2 year olds in Williamsburg and so we've gotten used to feeding Nate at home. So this was weird and kind of adventurous being in restaurant with Nate, and it was hilarious to see Nate out in the world, eating a snack in a booth in a bustling diner, looking around making noises, playing with sugar packets, trying to drink out of a straw, saying "hi" to the waitresses and busboys and every other person around him. My Mom and Nate were a funny team on the west side of the booth, Nate eating his snacks and my Mom in her sunglasses and all black beatnik wear. I took several pictures so as not to forget.



1 comment: